Travel 2024

Damming indeed.

Downfall: The Case Against Boeing Downfall: The Case Against Boeing - Google Search

1 Like

It was not quite as gut-wrenching of a watch as the documentary on Challenger and Columbia, but it was close.

1 Like

2 Likes

I have a two night stay in Honolulu in a couple of weeks. I know a lot of you know it better than I do, any restaurant suggestions? We’re staying on Waikiki, but will have a car.

On the way to Kirimati?

Yep.

2 Likes

We just got back from Campeche, where we stayed at the lodge that Enrico Pugilisi built. We fished two days for baby tarpon. The third scheduled day it stormed, so we hung out in town and wondered around. It’s a beautiful town, and would be great for a family vacation with a wee bit of fishing thrown in. There’s lots to see in the Yucatan, and it and Merida make a nice non-touristy base.

4 Likes

In the morning get the breakfast buffet at Duke’s or go to Liliha Bakery and get the Moco Loco. either way you wont need to eat anything for lunch.

Starting my trip to Norway. First leg is to Dublin and it’s on a 787 ‘22 revision. It’s pretty posh. Looking forward to the experience.

7 Likes

Finally arriving at Tromso after a day in Helsinki. If you zoom in to the center of this pic, you will see open water. Way north of the Arctic Circle. That’s compliments of all y’all. The Gulfstream keeps this part of the coast from completely freezing over. Hard to imagine your warm sunny days down there creating this oasis of relative warmth on the top of the world.

9 Likes

That is awesome. Of course, I prefer the bottom of the world, where it’s always warm and sunny. And the beer flows like wine.

2 Likes

This is a pic from our room. Anyplace that is not touched by the Gulf Stream, the sea ice is feet thick. That’s also the sun at apogee in the sky. Ha! Sunrise is at 10am and sunset will be at 2:30pm. It always feels like dusk though.

Processing: IMG_8946.jpeg…

Hey das, someone may be at the same conference you are.

I hope this is the show you’re getting.

1 Like

That is such an amazingly ambitious location for a conference. Looks like it’s well worth it.

2 Likes

How’s the fishing?

:clap::clap::clap:

It makes no sense that we charge for the use of public transportation. We spend billions on roads and, limited toll roads aside, we let everyone use them for free.

If we did the same for public transportation, the ridership would increase and the need to make I-10 a mile wide goes away.

1 Like

That’s not completely true, drivers do pay a gas tax that’s dedicated to highways, and car and commercial truck registration fees. Sometimes they pay tolls. What they don’t pay is the cost of the transportation, but of course you benefit from that public expenditure in the economy. Even if users of public transit do pay, they don’t pay the cost of the transit. Of course you get that value back in the economy.

4 Likes

The thing is, in the places that do have the best and most widely-used public transportation, it isn’t free. The goal should be to have a robust system that can get you where you need to go, conveniently, on schedule, so it’s worth the cost of a ticket.

It’s great, from what I hear. The commercial fisheries are most active in spring but, because of the Gulf Stream, they stay open even in the dead of winter enter. Atlantic cod, salmon (which they catch in the ocean), white fish, mackerel, herring. Norway is the second largest exporter of fish in the world.

There’s also an interesting all-season charter business.

I just walked by the harbor and all the boats are in for the night. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow when they are coming in to see if you can see what people are catching.

4 Likes

Bus fare isn’t the reason commuters don’t use METRO. Culture is.

1 Like