Travel 2024

Kudos to the passengers and crew for keeping their heads and getting out of this alive.

Apparently, only 3 of the 8 exits were usable because of the fire, and they still got 400 people off the plane.

On a Southwest flight from Dallas, I can see everyone burning alive because there’s a dude in the exit row who refuses to leave without his carry-on.

1 Like

Every meal in Norway is an episode of Fear Factor.

“Here’s your breakfast, sir.”
“What the fuck is that?”
“Raw fish guts, sprinkled with ‘aged’ cabbage and topped with curdled reindeer milk.”
“How do you people eat this shit?”
“…and here’s your aquavit, sir.”

1 Like

I used to go to Norway two or three times per year. I was working on the Troll onshore and a couple of other projects. I was given a special bottle of Aquavit. It was special because it had circumnavigated the globe in a boat, for some reason. It’s just awful. I still have 99+ percent in the bottle. I can’t drink alcohol anymore and nobody that sniffs the bottle will take a shot. I have no idea what to do with it.

Aquavit, in order to be legit, has to do a world cruise as you describe. Nope, I don’t know why either.

In reality, it’s moonshine. Alcohol is so expensive in Norway that they don’t fuck around with nuance. It’s all about the ratio of fucked up per ml.

I am familiar with the Troll field facilities. I used to work on the insurance program for Norsk Hydro who had a share. The Troll A Platform is a big motherfucker.

1 Like

Aging spirits at sea has a long tradition. Allegedly the constant sloshing and the changes in temperature and humidity extract unique flavors from the barrel. This is essentially how cognac was created, and some cognacs and even whisky still do this.

1 Like

It’s also how port was created.

It crosses the equator twice on the voyage.

1 Like

So it swirls both ways in a glass?
I’ll bet Hudson could formulate an acceptable cocktail with aquavit, given enough funding and laboratory access.

There are various cocktails made with aquavit, but I’ve never tried any. There is one called a “Nordic Summer”, made with Aperol and lime juice, which doesn’t sound awful. Well, except that it contains aquavit. You can also make any of the classics using aquavit, for things like a Sidecar or Collins…or the inviting “Viking Mule”. If you have it, its’ possibly worth a go mixing it in with various things.

I was recently given some Jenever by a Dutch friend and have absolutely no fucking idea what to do with it.

Nice! Thanks! I took a swig of it and it reminds me of some of the higher end soju I’ve had before.

Good advice.

2 Likes

Don’t get on a 737 Max. Ever. That is all.

I had an Alaska Airlines trip to Seattle last spring that would’ve had one flight on a 737 Max. I ended up canceling the trip for other reasons, but the 737 Max was a source of heartburn.

2 Likes

The latest issue is a known flaw where bolts would come loose. Instead of redesigning the parts, Boeing decided to rely on their QC to catch every instance before it left the factory.

Spoiler Alert: Boeing’s QC didn’t, in fact, catch every instance before it left the factory.

Boeing is a case study of the perils of oligopoly.

What do Greenpeace and the 737 MAX have in common?

They’re open to the environment.

1 Like

Article from 2019 that provides insight into what has gone wrong since Boeing’s merger with McDonnell Douglas.

They turned over control to McD D leadership and the finance guys and lost touch with their engineering culture, which was exemplified by the move of HQ away from Seattle to Chicago.

1 Like

This is highlighted in the documentary about the MCAS scandal. It was the fear of losing market share that had them tweak the software so that they could sell the new aircraft as one where no conversion training was necessary for pilots experienced on the earlier models. All done because Airbus had a new model that was going to kill their sales unless they could rush out a competing plane.

The stories of the efforts of the pilots of the doomed 737 Maxes - who were initially blamed and defamed by Boeing - are heartbreaking. They were doing what the Boeing manuals said to do, but the software patch had decided to kill everyone and there was nothing that could stop it.

How Boeing survived that is beyond me (other than the oligopoly issue referenced above). Now this. How can anyone - flight crew included - feel comfortable getting on a Boeing ever again? What other murderous flaws exist that they’re covering up have yet to announce themselves to the world?

Boeing: the sound made when an airplane door lands in your yard.

5 Likes