Travel 2024

Sounds good, sign me up.

I don’t think that ‘When in Rome warm your wieners’ is likely to have the same staying power as other, similar adages.

3 Likes

Winter is a mix of snowy days and sunny days after a storm moves out. The “problem” that some have is called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It’s a byproduct of the short(er) winter days here in the north. It’s nothing like the 24 hours of dark up near the arctic circle but some don’t like only 8 hours of light in December so they buy adjustable LED lights to mimic daylight in the morning and evening to extend the day a bit. The flip side is the sun rises at 4am and sets at 10pm in June. It’s glorious.

I will chime in here to say that we were in Vermont just a couple weeks ago (college visit to UVM, really liked Burlington) and until that visit I had never made the connection between Vermont (ver-mont) and Green-Mountain. I am not a smart man.

1 Like

Likewise, it had not occurred to me til last week that Grand Teton National Park is French for Big Titty National Park.

3 Likes

Los Angeles is Spanish for “the Angeles”, and San Diego means “a whale’s vagina”. It’s a mad, mad world.

3 Likes

That sounds doable for me. London is actually further north than Vermont, so I am very familiar with the change in daylight hours from summer to winter.

I have no comment to that.

They do say all the French words exactly wrong here. I’m pretty sure to stick it in the eye of the Québécois a few miles north of here.

Next time, let me know and we can go grab a beer or something. And, not kidding here, your kid has a local home base for emergencies if they choose UVM if you like. Sometimes it’s good to have a local friendly contact. My daughter goes to St. Michael’s and will transfer to UVM for her last two years.

1 Like

And that fact is a top reason why this is the greatest nation on earth.

As have been mentioned, Chattanooga and Santa Fe/Taos are very desirable to me as well. My cousin in Chattanooga is really, really happy there, after moving from the Hill Country. I love the Asheville NC area and the Oregon/Washington coast as well.

Lots of places overseas that are desirable and doable, but I’m not sure I could ever pull the string on moving that far away from family and friends. I think about it all the time though.

And hard winters…not for me. I like to visit them for a couple of weeks at a time, that’s enough.

I remain non-plussed that, given the topography, Beaumont is called Beaumont.

2 Likes

I grew up near there.

The official elevation for my hometown is 10 feet above sea level.

There were no hills. Only one bump in a wooded lot near an intersection.

2 Likes

Ironically I had only two grey rainy days in two weeks of travel in the UK. The hollowed out eyes of the people told me it was pure luck on my part though.

1 Like

They named it after the salt domes

2 Likes

I like Asheville a lot too, but I can’t afford it. Or I don’t want to, should I say. It’s just silly expensive to live there.

1 Like

That’s why I said “Asheville area”…I’d think there’s a nice town somewhere within a ~45 minute drive of the city. Kinda like I am with Austin.

Sounds beautiful…

My favorite carbonara I’ve had. Chef is a former Roma player.

3 Likes

Thanks for that offer. I’m not sure she will apply to UVM but will keep it in mind if she does.

Yes. I can imagine that “beau” might have applied at some point, but “mont”?

Grr. #autocorrupt