Travel 2024

Currently looking at the Oregon Coast as a possible retirement spot.

Yeah. I mentioned it to a friend who lives there and first he gave me a stare of horror, then pity, then he told me, “No. You really don’t want to move here. It’s horrible. They’re so much more hateful and crazy here and it’s just getting worse.” Which I guess I’ve seen some, but more importantly I kinda doubt my wife would fully get into the Memphis vibe, it would be more of a skew my way instead of an even share.

I say we take off and nuke the site from Longmont. It’s the only way to be sure.

Upstate NY is expensive?

A lot of it is, yes. I think Buffalo is pretty affordable but anything around Hudson and the Catskills and such is pretty spendy.

I am a big fan of the Great Lakes area, always have been. When we leave where we are if we stay in the US and A there is a non zero chance we end up in Chicago. I’m a city mouse, and Chicago is by far the cheapest real city in the country. More importantly, we already know that there are schools there that would work for our son. So that’s always something I have in my back pocket.

I like Minneapolis, too. Sure, there are a couple of months a year where you don’t want to go outside, but I live in muffuggin Las Vegas, so I know a little about that.

If you’re hell bent on upstate NY I’ve heard some good things about Rochester. My wife is good friends with a couple from there. The Finger Lakes region is probably also pretty nice, and I suspect Ithaca wouldn’t be a terrible place to live. I’ve been to Buffalo, but I’ve never been anywhere between say Albany and Buffalo, believe it or not, so I’m just talking out my ass here, but I won’t let that slow me down. I read something recently about people moving to Duluth, MN, and doing big city things in Duluth, you know like opening gluten free bakeries and setting up free libraries in front of their houses and whatnot. You’d probably want to pack a couple of sweaters.

3 Likes

If Austria is on your list, substitute Slovenia. Same alpine feel/scenery and still close enough to Vienna to go there when you want to. Closer to the Adriatic if you want water. And the food is better.

3 Likes

My dad’s side of the family is originally from the Chautauqua Lake area southwest of Buffalo. It’s pretty country in the spring, summer and fall. Would never want to be stuck there in the winter.

1 Like

Yeah, there are lots of places that would be really nice for much of the year, but I’m just not cut out for the cold. Somewhere like Minnesota or Upstate New York would be out of the question, unless I could “winter” somewhere warm. But I never fancied myself a “snowbird”. I really enjoyed living in North Carolina, and parts of Tennessee are nice (I’m looking at you, Chattanooga). But, I’m not sure I can ever get Mrs. Hawk out of Texas.

So our hotel in Rome has a hotdog maker. Ha.

4 Likes

No. Vermont is a bit more than upstate NY but is much, much nicer.

Rochester is indeed the best upstate NY locale. Followed by Albany.

If any of you can stand a typically cold winter, let me know if you have any ??’s about Vermont. I’m happy to answer.

What’s the definition of “typically cold”?

The literal opposite, in Celsius, of Texas.

1 Like

60 F

3 Likes

Kinda like what you see in a Hallmark movie. Fall comes early and lasts Sept thru Oct. Highs in the 60’s and lows in the 40’s trending towards 50’s and 30’s. Bo ember is a transition month with some rain and occasional snow but also some warm sunny days in the 50’s and 60’s. December thru Feb is legit winter where most precip is snow. Highs in the 30’s and lows in the teens trend towards highs in the 20’s and lows around 10°F is the norm. Snow is on the ground typically from mid December thru March. Cold snaps happen once or twice per month. Sometimes for 2-3 days but never more than a week with highs from 5°F to 15°F and lows below zero. There’s an equal number of “warm” spells with highest in the low to mid 30’s and lows in the 20’s.

A typical summer day is sunny with highs in the upper 70’s and low humidity. All of this is here in the Champlain Valley along the lake. It’s considered the easternmost Finger Lake as well as the easternmost Great Lake since the same geologic processes created all of those. The Valley is also one of the warmer parts of the state even though we are in the far northwest of the state with temps tempered by the lake.

Well, when in Rome…

1 Like

I can handle cold, I can’t handle endless rain/gray (probably why I have little desire to return to Limeyland).

How does that jive with VT?

Same here. The temperatures sound like paradise, but I do need sunlight.