Travel 2024

Denver and Boulder are very expensive. That’s why I was looking at towns like Longmont, as it’s far away enough to avoid the big city prices but still close enough that you could still get to them as needed.

1 Like

Also, got to go to my first ever football match in Europe. It was a blast. ACF Fiorentina went up 2-0 in the first half but gave up 2 second half goals to draw with Lecce. The crowd both home and away supporters were fantastic.

Also, I didn’t think they sold beer at games, but they did. $4 beers. It was like the dome in 1996.

3 Likes

My daughter and her husband gave up on Boulder, realizing that they would never be able to buy a home there. They have moved to Minneapolis and have bought a house there and are much happier. The house wasn’t cheap, but it wasn’t as ridiculous as in Boulder, and it’s in a great area. After this summer, I’m tempted to join them.

2 Likes

If you don’t have to live near a big city, a place like Pagosa Springs is a nice Colorado town and less expensive.

1 Like

Santa Fe is the town Boulder wants to be, IMO. It’s one of my favorites.

4 Likes

As we age, we place a greater value on the proximity to good health care. We’ve seen the effects on family members who were more remote and had emergency health problems.

2 Likes

Minneapolis would be an option if it weren’t in Minnesota

4 Likes

I love Santa Fe and it’s high on my list of possible relocation sites. Another option is somewhere in Kentucky south of Lexington (Richmond - Berea area) and stay there in the summer, New Braunfels in the winter.

1 Like

A coworker of mine retired to Paducah and loves it.

Colorado Springs may be worth a look.

I can chat with you in more detail if you’d like

Given the acceleration in climate change, that might not be a bad call. The south, midwest and west are expected to become distinctly unpleasant places to be.

1 Like

Santa Fe is cool, and has skiing nearby too. Bonus: the ski area has a breathable atmosphere.

1 Like

My understanding is that Colorado Springs is full of not Ron’s type of people. If you Boebert what I mean.

CO is very Jekyll and Hyde in this regard.

2 Likes

Paducah is a river town and quite a bit different than eastern or central Kentucky. No hollers, hills, and knobs but still a beautiful area with rolling hills and huge trees.

Ah. It definitely ain’t Boulder in that respect.

But it ain’t Birmingham either.

The offer still stands.

2 Likes

I ain’t going anywhere. Austin is where my kids will say goodbye to me.

I appreciate it, but even though I enjoyed the time I spent in CO Springs, it’s waaaaay too right-wing for me. We’re trying to get away from the idiocy in Texas and be someplace where every day doesn’t start with watching a race to the bottom.

5 Likes

Very nice, and I’m jealous! Italy is a bucket list trip for me one day.

Whenever I go back for a visit in Grand Junction, it’s just a bit more right-wing than it was the last time. They actually re-elected Boebert, which is astonishing. I understand their concerns and positions, although I certainly don’t agree with all of them, but for fuck’s sake, elect a serious person to represent you.

Anyway, I won’t be moving back to western CO, even though places like Gunnison are otherwise attractive.

1 Like

Of the American locales on that list Memphis is comparatively inexpensive. A five hundred thousand dollar home in Nashville is a two-hundred-fifty thousand dollar home in Memphis - or less.