Trade Deadline 2022

Devin Williams is the name to watch. He’s got great stuff and has been the eighth-inning guy behind Hader since the 2020 season.

Devin Williams is extremely good. That, plus Hader hasn’t been quite himself lately and he’s going to be more expensive next season. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to move him even with that in mind, but I think that’s Milwaukee’s angle.

1 Like

I was reading Hader seemed to be back on track after his recent rough outings. I guess they are betting on Williams, and I think the strategy is sound if Williams is ready to close.

They were listening to offers and found one they liked. The Brewers are trying to be Rays north, always in contention without spending very much money. To do this you need to trade guys before they can leave for nothing and you get more if they have over a year of team control

This is not me trying to start shit, just my read on the situation

1 Like

As I said, I think the strategy is sound if they have another guy who can close.

ETA: I did not know about Williams or about how good he is.

The Padres were only a half million or so away from hitting the luxury tax threshold before the trade, so taking on Hader’s $11M contract was a bit surprising. But it looks like sending Taylor Rogers ($7.3M) and Dinelson Lamet ($4.8M) over to Milwaukee eliminates the payroll concern. I’ll leave it to others to opine on how the talent balances out.

This could be similar to the Pressly suggestion you ( Jim) had.

Trade your all star closer for a haul because you have a replacement, maybe even one that is not a downgrade

Billy Wagner → Brad Lidge
John Wetteland → Mariano Rivera

Closers are also so volatile

Yesterday, in the whole Pressly trade fracas that was going on, I almost posed a hypothetical where we would trade Pressly and and player to the Brewers for Hader, to show that there is a point where you would trade Pressly if the return was right. Decided against it as I just thought I’d let that die. Low and behold, the Brewers trade Hader today. I’ll guarantee you that yesterday folks on the Brewers page thought that would never happen. If you are a competent GM, there is a price for everyone, including Alvarez if someone wants to give you the moon. I’m not advocating trading Yordon, I’m just saying a good GM will listen to trades on every player.

Which was all I was trying to think out loud about yesterday, and then it blew up.

The Brewers have Williams, and we have Montero, Stanek, and Nerris. The capable replacement makes thinking about it feasible.

4 Likes

I think Hader being a free agent after next season is the key here. They probably got the sense that his time with them was about up. Plus the Brewers aren’t known for spending big. They knew he wasn’t going to resign and had a suitable replacement. I can understand this trade. Pressly on the other hand, isn’t a free agent until 2026.

Yes, all off that is true. But I think the point is, trading Pressly, if you got back a package that could make your team better, should not be off the table. Is such a package out there. I have no idea, but I hope Click is a good enough GM to evaluate that rather than just dismiss the idea.

2 Likes

Who gives a fuck, it’s gone. Let…it…go. You all are ruining this thread. I could care less about JimR’s comments regarding Pressly. All that matters is what Click thinks.

2 Likes

Yep, what Click thinks is most important, but that will not stop me from thinking or from expressing my thoughts. Nor will you.

About to take off. I expect a number of high-value Astros trades to be completed by the time I land in 1.5 hours. Don’t let me down.

Hope you are right.

Going by baseballtradevalues.com - which had a recent write up in The Athletic - the Padres come out ahead on the deal.

Just playing with this - Siri and Freudis Nova for Bell comes out balanced. Would that seem like a fair pay?

I’d do that in a heartbeat which means it’s a bad deal for the Nats.

1 Like

Ha ha. Guaranteed we’re still going to sitting right here sweating gravy 24 hours from now…

I’ve never seen that site produce any worthwhile values. Best to ignore it.