Trade Deadline 2022

Yep

He signed as a free agent to come home before the 1980 season.

He left after 1 season but was pretty much a mercenary after that.

Finished his career with 4 different teams his last 5 seasons.

No doubt you are correct. I remember only his addition that season.

Man, he took a massive pay cut when coming to Houston.
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.33.13 PM

He was 36 and a FA

I wonder if he gave a discount or didn’t have many offers?

The last two paragraphs of this article helpfully explain Siri’s potential trade/control value now due to his limited ML service -

“given that he’s in his final minor league option season.”

(6 Aug 22 - Link updated.)

Regarding the Astros acquiring a backup catcher, I’m starting to lean towards Tucker Barnhart. While he is having a down year offensively from his career numbers, I really like the idea that he is a switch hitter. That could be valuable coming off the beach as we progress. Isn’t he regarded fairly well defensively as well?

I hate that the main site has an article about the possibility of yesterdays game possibly being Urquidy’s last as an Astro. A classic signaling move, if ever there was one. I know pitching is a strength and the needs revolve around hitting but I’ve really liked watching him grow and then iterate. 8 quality starts in a row to end his (potential) tenure is awesome.

1 Like

That is a rough way to get the news, especially from a classy organization…

Castillo to Seattle, apparently. If Click wanted him, nope.

The cost was high though. Numbers 1, 3, 5 and 18 in the Mariners’ system going to the Reds.

When I see what this cost, makes me doubt that Soto or Ohtani get moved.

While it was costly, the Mariners have a pretty solid trio of starters if the make the playoffs. Castillo, Gilbert and Flexen is pretty stout.

While we don’t think of a Robbie Ray this way, he has a 10.13 ERA against the Astros but only 3.45 against everyone else.

1 Like

From the Astros perspective, it is very helpful that the Yankees, or Dodgers didn’t obtain Castillo. I get why the Mariners are going for it- it has been a long playoff drought, but it’s a gamble.

2 Likes

Let’s not start sucking each other’s popsicles yet. There’s at least one or two rounds to get to those teams, even if we do win the division.

2 Likes

Good point.

Castillo is decent but he’s not worth that.

I love seeing marginal contenders go all in. I don’t love that it’s in our division but I do love these trades in principle.

I agree. Two of the players Seattle let go are top 100 players. Given that, there is no way Houston was getting Castillo. We don’t have that kind of talent at our disposal to move. And I’ll say it again, if that’s what Castillo cost, what is the package for Soto or Ohtani going to look like? Wouldn’t be shocked to see both of those players finish out their seasons with their current teams.

1 Like

I am starting to get my hopes up about McCullers.

No setbacks after months of throwing

I find it hard to believe the front office would shop one of the young starters unless they have absolute confidence in Lance’s health and ability to rejoin the rotation.

I think Lance is a great trade deadline acquisition. And the prospect cost is even better.

McCullers > Castillo.

1 Like