The Ukraine Invasion

Putin has done more to advance Ukrainian nationalism than anyone since Stepan Bandera.

I wish we could fast forward to the part where Putin commits suicide in a bunker.

2 Likes

Or is eliminated as was Trotsky.

1 Like

This “Animal Farm” sequel sucks.

2 Likes

This is horrific. War crimes being committed in Ukraine and documented on video. Link below - but be warned that this is graphic and just heinous.

The driver was not killed, but was trapped in his car.

It seems that Russia has somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of it’s troops yet to be committed to the fight. There is no military reason to withhold such a large portion; they haven’t been put in because they can’t be supported, probably with fuel. There seem to be some supply line issues. The Russian military is being humiliated. Contrast with the military invasion (not the occupation) of Iraq.

Now Putin is threatening Finland and Sweden if they try to join NATO. As one does when dealing from strength.

1 Like

I think he should invade every neighboring country he can think of, see how that works out for him.

1 Like

The simplest of twitter searches reveals that this is not what happened. Now is a good time to review @Waldo’s post from earlier in this thread: Smart Things to do re: Media and News

And…
“Read more, post less”. --OWA TZOL
“Be slow to speak, quick to listen”. --James 1:19
“We have two ears and only one tongue in order that we may hear more and speak less”. --Diogenes Laertius

2 Likes

This whole Ukraine gambit by Putin was a Hail Mary. When - instead of fracturing and leaving Ukraine swinging in the wind - Europe and particularly NATO presented a unified front, the bluff as comprehensively called.

So Putin moved into the “disputed”, i.e. not disputed, Ukraine territories hoping to spook the world into giving him what he wants and causing Zelensky to surrender or his government fall. Neither happened and it all just served to steal the resolve of opposition.

In fact, the world agreed to sanction the fuck out of Russia, totally crashing its economy, stock market and currency.

Putin tweeted out bloviated threats and rolled into the rest of the country. Whereupon he met far greater resistance than he imagined from a people far from cowed by his bullying and far better armed than expected.

Everything is going wrong for Putin. The scary part is that he has escalated at every inflection point. How far will he go?

Please provide a link. Everything I see points to it being legit, including it being featured on TV news.

In a video shared with and verified by The Independent, the armoured vehicle can be seen cutting across the road before driving over the oncoming car.

That would certainly be a more prudent and likely more successful approach. Maybe he’s got cancer or some horrible disease and can’t wait that long. One can hope.

1 Like

Maybe he knows his useful idiot is a busted flush.

1 Like

If anything is certain, there’s plenty more of them.

File under “big, if true”

4 Likes

Yeah, if it is a hoax, google is not portraying it as such. I googled “Russian tank runs over car hoax.” Got zilch.

1 Like

I sure hope that the US has the lethal weapon pipe line to Ukraine full open.

1 Like

None as stupid, though, so none as cheap to acquire.

If Aaron Sorkin is to be believed, Charlie Wilson scuppered Russia’s Afghanistan invasion by covertly sneaking weapons to the Mujahideen.

Ukraine has nation allies who will happily, openly ship them all they can handle in this fight.

As you can see, even the legit source you give (The Independent) counters that original post. Your linked tweet says “Russian Tank” and it’s not. It’s a Ukrainian tracked vehicle. Your post says “war crimes” but your later source says tank runs over vehicle. There is a reason why legit sources don’t jump to conclusions.

Here’s the entire scene leading up. It’s pretty graphic but tells the story: the Ukrainians ambushed a Russian troop transport and, at the end of it, the Ukrainian tracked vehicle come careening around the corner and looses control. While the ambush is finishing up.

https://twitter.com/HorstSchauerte/status/1497293396028780545

Read the entirety of the link you posted. 10-12 posts down, the authenticity of the original headline is called into question. The video is legit but does not tell the whole story. That’s why The Independent carefully worded their article the way they did. During times of heightened emotion like this, we’d all do well to be thoughtful about what we post and what conclusions we draw. We can be a part of the problem or a part of the solution. My $0.02

3 Likes

The article I linked says there’s a Twitter disagreement as to the nationality of the tracked vehicle that ran over the car. Your link provides a wider context of the moment but doesn’t do anything to confirm who’s it was one way or the other.

Presumably, someone who speaks Ukrainian might have a better idea from the comments of those filming, but I haven’t seen anything like that.

If it was an accident by a Ukrainian tank then it’s still a tragedy of war. But it’s a little much to jump on me for posting and commenting on something that had been verified by a legitimate, major newspaper. Especially when the article is a living online piece, subject to edits.

1 Like

Putin has been sanctioned personally. Not sure why this was not done straight away, but it’s good that it’s done.

Now I want video clips of impounded mega yachts and private jetliners.