The sci-fi TV thread

Man, CBS is all in on filling the void left by the end of the Star Wars Skywalker saga (and with the very slow production of other storylines).

I would not be surprised if additional Trek movies will be the obvious outcome to tap into the unmet demand for high-quality space operas. They could make a mint if they do this right.

Hope not. When you get down to it, only 3-4 Trek movies are really worth a shit. Trek has always been better on TV.

Minus the TV part, the same is true for the Star Wars movies.

1 Like

You should watch some of the TV. The final 4 episodes of The Clone Wars were the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

2 Likes

II, IV, First Contact, and maybe VI. Yep, that checks out.

3 to 4 out of 13 isn’t bad for a movie franchise. If you subtract the crap that was never TV, you’re in Ted Williams territory.

ETA: especially considering that, with the possible exception of V, none of the others are full-on trash.

Hot take alert: I don’t put The Voyage Home in the top tier of Trek movies.

Good/Great: Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, Trek 2009
Fine: Motion Picture, Voyage Home
Meh: Search for Spock, Generations, Insurrection, Beyond
Bad: Into Darkness
Full-on trash: The Final Frontier, Nemesis

Of which the last 2 episodes of this final season of Clone Wars might be my favorite Star Wars.

The 1st season of The Mandolarian was great soap opera. I just hated the 30 min episode length.

Looking forward to season two

Agree and disagree…

Amen and Absolution: Undiscovered Country, Trek 2009
+4 WAR: Voyage Home, Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Generations, Into Darkness
Meh: Search for Spock, First Contact
Phoning It In: Beyond
Dumpster Fire: Final Frontier, Nemesis, Insurrection

I preferred Into Darkness to Trek 2009 because it actually tried to tell a new story rather than “backstory” and endless series references. I liked the cast of the reboot series and just wish they could do more with it.

Say what now? Big picture, Into Darkness was little more than a Wrath of Khan remake. I won’t fault anyone for liking it, but no one can say that it was a new story.

Yes, I suppose you are right, but it seemed to have less jokey references than the 2009 one.

I hated every single moment of Into Darkness because I just knew, despite their protestations, it was going to be Khan

Reasonable people can disagree, but I don’t understand any way of saying Generations was better than First Contact…

Same.

JJ Abrams is fast earning a reputation for taking good stuff and turning it to shit.

1 Like

Abrams is nearly unparalleled for starting up or rebooting a project.

His only peers in writing endings are the GOT show runners.

2 Likes

David Benioff has never created good stuff. His adaptations have always been quite good, but most of his new stuff sucks.

That is a brilliant and accurate graphic.

In Benioff’s defense, I highly recommend his book City of Thieves. It’s a really good novel, focusing on two Russian youths arrested during the siege of Leningrad who are forced to find a dozen eggs in order to secure their freedom. Haven’t read anything else by him, but this was a well thought through story with great characters and an actual coherent ending.