The sci-fi TV thread

True about Cobb. Forgot about that one.

I am watching The Expanse and enjoying it.

However, I did also check out The Witcher on Netflix. They’ve been promoting it pretty hard. I felt like turning it off during the opening sequence, but decided to persevere. I turned it off shortly into the first scene after the credits. It’s dreadful.

I’ve had multiple people tell me how good the “His Dark Materials” books are, so I was interested in the HBO series…I think I fell asleep during the first episode on 3 separate occasions. They’re piled up on my dvr, maybe it gets better?

1 Like

Hooked on The Expanse; thanks Waldo! (No seriously, thanks).

However, I fucked up royally. Amazon lost my place when I was 6 episodes in, so I accidentally watched 7 - 10 of season 4. I was confused, of course, but I figured I’d missed only a small part rather than three fucking seasons!

So, I know where it goes, kinda. But I’m going to watch and enjoy the journey.

Glad you’re enjoying it. The great thing about the show is that they’re using it as an opportunity to improve upon the books. The B-plots of seasons 1 and 4 (mostly the political machinations) are almost completely absent from the books. Some major shit is gonna get fucked up in season 5, and it was a treat to see them lay a lot of the groundwork that the books simply skipped over for the sake of brevity.

It also helps that the authors of the books are EPs and writers on the show. This one isn’t getting Benioff-and-Weiss’ed.

Oh, and you’re right about the production of this show. Incredible.

I just finished book 5. It’s amazing what a sprawling story the authors have created.

I’ve seen a few episodes of season 1 and it’s a good looking show. I’m just bad about keeping up with episodic shows.

I’m in the middle of book 4 now, but I haven’t started the show yet. I had so many things I was going to catch up on over the holidays, and instead I’m further behind.

And, by the way, it’s just wrong that I have to be out weeding the gardens on Dec 31.

Changing gears to Star Trek…

My sister has recently gotten hooked on Discovery, so I’m going through my first rewatch of that series. Having recently gone back through TNG and DS9, I forgot how amazing Discovery’s visuals are. The current braintrust is really knocking it out of the park.

Also, the new Picard series starts next Thursday. After watching the Short Trek that serves as a prequel to this series, I’m even more pumped to see it.

Lost in Space season 2 is better than season 1, which was decent. It’s pretty derivative, stealing from more movies than I can remember, but it’s all done so well that I don’t care.

Also, Molly Parker is sexy AF.

I am liking it so far. They are doing reasonably well with the character development now that they are into S2. Solid space opera.

1 Like

Three episodes in and I’m really enjoying Picard. I’m not sure if it’s really good or if I’m just being nostalgic.

I’m pretty sure it’s both. This is nostalgia done right.

I am also enjoying Picard. Moving the franchise forward with just the right amount of fan service.

“You can do that?”

• JJ Abrams

“Locke & Key” on Netflix is in the vein of “Stranger Things”, in that the main characters tend towards various generations of school kids. Also, like “Stranger Things”, it’s incredibly well made and thoroughly entertaining.

I’m about 1/2 through Season 2. I do love the hard science. Good show. For some reason Holden bugs me. Going to start the novels to see if he was cast correctly.

The Holden casting is simply not the person I have in my mind’s eye while reading the books, but that’s probably more my hangup. I’d be interested to see what you think once you start reading.

I thought the same - I pictured him 10-15 years older than the late 20s/early 30s actor who plays him. But I could also probably nitpick the casting of most of the main characters: Alex also isn’t old enough, Amos and Bobbie aren’t large enough, etc. It’s not a hangup for me, though, because they all portray their characters well.

They nailed Miller and Avasarala, though.

That I have to see.