The sci-fi TV thread

I always loved the Lynch version, too. But I loved Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival, so definitely will be looking forward to this one.

3 Likes

Arrival was great; a Sixth Sense level twist, followed by the mind fuck over the choice she’d made once you realized she’d made it.

2 Likes

Arrival was an absolute classic and I don’t understand why it doesn’t get more love

1 Like

It’s based on a great short story “The Story of Your Life” that I highly recommend, along with everything else Ted Chiang has written.

2 Likes

Well fuck you…again…2020!

RIP Emma Peel

Ditto. I read the book shortly after the movie came out and I still find myself thinking about different stories all the time. Just yesterday the insane writing AI the Brits have developed got me talking about his piece about what society is like when people are no longer capable of understanding the science the AIs are doing.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

1 Like

Hell, liked your post before I realized you weren’t talking about umpires.

1 Like

I’m about halfway through book one now. When I finish, can I watch season one without spoiling book two?

Yes, it’s safe to watch.

Season 1 = first 2/3ish of book 1
Season 2 = remaining book 1 + first half-ish of book 2
Season 3 = remaining book 2 + book 3
Season 4 = book 4

They do introduce some characters very early in season 1 (e.g. pretty much everyone at the UN) that weren’t in the first book at all, so if you watch season 1 before reading book 2 you’ll hear some names you’re not familiar with. Their plotlines are not spoilers, though, just additional perspective to add some political intrigue to the main plot.

If you’re going to commit to reading the books then I do recommend staying ahead of the show, though, because the show tells some stories that the books leave out, especially once you get to season 4.

1 Like

I recommend Netflix’s new mission to Mars show “Away”. I recommend it if you found the pacing of “The Martian” too fast to handle and “The Notebook” too awash with toxic masculinity. Otherwise, you might not like it.

2 Likes

Not fiction, but I just watched the new documentary “Challenger: The Final Flight” on Netflix. It’s gut-wrenching. And it’s also remarkable that one of the main assholes that approved the launch (despite a number of engineers’ objections) doesn’t come across as being all that sorry about it 34 years later.

1 Like

The one guy (can’t remember his name) who said he’d make the same decision again, appears to be suffering from his guilt exiting his soul through his face.

It was really good, and gut wrenching as you say. I thought it wouldn’t be until the 4th episode until I cried but, nope, a couple of minutes into episode #1.

The entire introduction I was just filled with dread, and actually almost cried with relief when they didn’t show the explosion.

Just finished episode 1, itching for the rest.

1 Like

I have been persevering with Season 2 of “The Boys”, but it hasn’t been up to the standard of the first season. Until this week. So much packed into one episode, wow!

Spoiler

The “Red” Congressional Hearing was an exceptional moment, but add to that the rescue of Starlight, the abduction of Homelander’s child, Bill’s run in with his Dad, Black Noir’s nut allergy…holy crap!

Meanwhile, “Utopia” also on Amazon Prime is very good so far. I’m 5 episodes in.

1 Like

Is anyone else watching “Raised by Wolves”? I’m liking the show a lot, but with a couple of caveats.

They hit the “Adam and Eve” thing a little hard, especially with the finale. I also don’t like the fact that they apparently still use Imperial units in the future. Seems since the alt history is global, metric units would be used.

I won’t give spoilers but I really like the acting shown in the characters “Mother” and “Father”. They really need to help hash out the alt-history in season 2 or there will be too many sub plots to follow.

1 Like

Watched Challenger too. Excellent, and you’ll see it, MM.

Another really good one is American Murder: The Family Next Door about the Shanann/Chris Watts case. Outstanding.

1 Like

I have tried twice to watch it. I couldn’t finish episode 1 first time, but I gave it another go and this time got through half of episode 2 before turning it off. It’s laboriously slow, and the only characters that I have even remotely given a shit about were offed after about 3 seconds of screen time.

Spoiler

It was the couple who got killed to have their places on the Arc taken.

Still have no idea what any of it is about.

Challenger was very good. And infuriating. And, instructive since I work in a place with many of the same potential dynamics.

I thought I saw the recco in here about “Away” on Netflix as well but I can’t find it to reply directly. It was a very good, character-driven story, cinematically excellent and physically accurate. Well worth the time.

1 Like