Strom to the D-Backs

Me add pretty one day.

2 Likes

Let it go? I was repeating what I read yesterday in a great article on Strom. He and his wife have purchased a condo in some beach (I think) town in Mexico. They are going through, or maybe have completed, the legal process to become Mexican “residents.” This is now their permanent home. Tucson (if that is where it is) is his residence while he is working in the US. He is fluent in Spanish, which I did not know, so moving his home to Mexico will be an easy transition.

Strom seems to be a genuinely good person who is completely without guile so it is easy to take what he says at face value. It is so strange to me, however, for him to take another on the field job so soon after telling all interviewers how tiring the MLB team life had become and speaking wistfully about laying on a beach in Mexico.

He says there were no behind the scenes issues in Houston, and he wants the young guys to have their turn in the primary pitching roles in Houston. He also spoke about the challenge he has with the DBacks and compared it to the early challenges he had with the Astros. Because it is Strom saying it, I accept those things if he says so, but his agreeing to another MLB pitching coach job so soon is not what I expected him to do at all. Steve D. makes a strong case for the Why.

2 Likes

Just from my own experience, I’d suggest a couple of things that may play into Strom’s decisions.

He can’t stay with the Astros forever–at most a few more years. He’s leaving at the top of his game, and maybe as important, he’s leaving with underlings who he believes can take over. He probably feels he owes them that opportunity.

I suspect he’s also less than thrilled about getting old, and an opportunity to play some part with another team–especially a team that really isn’t in competition with the Astros–is a personal psychological boost.

Frankly, I’m pretty pleased with what Strom’s done, and completely identify.

2 Likes

I think everyone is pleased, and I agree retirement is hard…at least it was for me. It took me over a year to get used to not going to my office in the morning.

Fortunately I’ve had more than a year of not going into the office in the morning.

There is a slight bit of difference: you still have work to do.

Bet he tied more flies this year.

1 Like

My count, this year and all time, is none.

For about 2 more months, and mostly the last year has been passing stuff off.

Good Lord, are you and I going to retire on the same day, too?

1 Like

That’s perfect.

We typically have “retirement season”, which is April-May, after bonuses are paid in March. We’re in the middle of what they call the “crew change” in the oil and gas industry, so it’s bound to be a big one again this spring.

1 Like