Smart home getting dumber

Are you setting up a RAID because that is likely what you are paying for. Hardware RAID controllers are still very pricey. And if you aren’t, there are a number of affordable JBOD enclosures out there.

Setting up a RAID enclosure. My current NAS is too small to have any redundancy, and the HDDs in it are easily beyond the age when failure becomes an option.

The cheapest 4-bay enclosure I’ve seen is over $500. Well, I’ve seen one cheaper, but it’s a 2018 model.

I’m trying really hard to be the adult here, but you’re not making it easy.

1 Like

Do these pants make my NAS look big?

How much do you think they should be? I work as a video editor and would love to find a high-capacity, ultra-fast storage option for under $500…rack mount or not.

Dunno. But $500 for a plastic box with 4GBs of RAM and a 2GHz chip just doesn’t seem right.

I’d think of it in terms of what it is allowing you to do and if you would trust it to do it well.

True, but the real work is being done by the drives which aren’t even included in that price.

Case in point:

1.7GHz chip, 2GB RAM, $527.

The RAID controller alone could easily account for $100-200 of that cost.

2 Likes

Well…shit.

Now see, I think that’s a good price.

1 Like

Add the 10GbE at another $50-100.

1 Like

I mean, if that’s the going rate then it is what it is. I just wondered if I was looking in the wrong places.

I think that’s about the going rate for quality. I haven’t looked too much at NAS solutions but if I can get 10Gbps RAID performance then I may start.

You can save quite a bit by going with a desktop NAS instead of a rackmount.

Also, do you need four drives?

Don’t necessarily need 4 drives, but I’m not seeing 2-bay options that are notably cheaper. Obviously I have a freestanding NAS currently, so a rack-mount enclosure is just a preference.

Back to smart home tech, while my Lutron light switches have been flawless, I have had two Aqara switches drop off the system and have to be re-connected; one repeatedly. I guess this is what people mean when they gush about the reliability of Lutron’s switches.

FTR, I have not had any issues with any of the other Aqara accessories, just those two switches.

Thanks for sharing. This is helping me cope with the premium I paid for going all-Lutron.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m actually having a tiny little bit of buyers remorse.

My only experience thus far with smart switches is/was a TP Link switch.

WiFi, no hub.

Very meh.

The rocker wasn’t really a rocker.

It was hard to tell what mode it was in. Bottom line is I reconnected the dumb switch for another reason and I doubt I’ll reinstall it at that location.

I’m about to smartify another house and decided that I’ll use lutron switches. I’ll just be strategic about where I install them to keep costs down.

(TP Link smart plugs get a thumbs up from me)

1 Like