Smart home getting dumber

I bought a house. I know I was pricking on about living in a van, but that desire went away a while ago once sanity returned. I wasn’t planning on buying a place, but rents are getting jacked sky-high such that - even at the higher interest rates - it just makes too much financial sense to ignore to buy rather than rent. So here I am, in a very affordable and recently renovated 1800sf townhouse.

I have dabbled in a few elements of smart lighting, but I want to really smarten up my new home with some tech. I will be using Apple Homekit (natch), as I already have the necessary home hub (I’m using my Apple TV). This does limit options and increase prices in some cases, as there are fewer selections for Apple-compatible devices. However, I also use my Mac Mini to run HomeBridge, that allows you to bring non-Apple compatible devices into an Apple Home setup.

So, how’s it going? The move forced me to change internet providers, so my Wifi network name changed. This broke the setup of the smart bulbs I have in my bedside lamps and also two desktop smart lamps (both Meross brand). Unfortunately, to set them up you have to connect to them using the 2.4GHz band only, and I cannot shut off the 5GHz band on my Xfinity router that my phone automatically connects to. So, until I can figure this out, they are dumb lights.

My SimpliSafe alarm is connecting to Apple Home via HomeBridge, which will be great for when I really get stuck into setting up automations. My Wemo doorbell was delivered today…to my apartment…so I will have that to set up this weekend once I pick it up from the old place.

Here’s what I am looking to do over time:

• Doorbell camera for the front of the house and a security camera at the back, both of which support Apple’s secure streaming service.
  • HomeKey enabled smart locks - front and back - so they can be opened by a phone/watch, key code or a key. The Schlage Encode Plus is the only suitable model right now.
  • Smart light switches pretty much everywhere.
  • Smart adapters to motorize the opening and closing of blinds. Same for any curtains I put up.
  • Smart thermostat with remote sensors (so you can set temps based on individual rooms).
  • Smart hose adapter to control the watering of my (tiny) grass space.

I want to set it up ultimately so that I have automations for at least the following:

• Blinds to close automatically at sunset, or if I’m away and it’s hot outside.
  • A “Goodnight” scene that will lock the doors, set the alarm, sets the overnight temperature (based on a remote sensor in my bedroom) and turn off all the lights.
  • A “Good Morning” scene that will open the blinds, turn on certain lights (if before sunrise) and reset the thermostat to the daytime temp.
  • The porch light to come on at sunset and off at midnight, but to come on if the doorbell motion sensor picks up movement.
  • Select other lights to come on at sunset depending on whether I’m home or out.
  • “TV” scene that closes the blinds and dims the living room lights for evening TV viewing.

I’ll report back as I go.

I read that initially as “I bought a horse” and I had great mental images of you van lifing it in an electric vehicle with a horse trailer in tow.

1 Like

I just finished converting from Alexa+IFTTT to HomeKit+Homebridge and am generally very pleased. All of the automations you want to set up should be fairly straightforward.

You should be able to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different SSIDs. Unless, of course, Xfinity doesn’t let you (very possible).

I’ve looked into stuff like this but even the best retrofit options out there look kind of janky, especially for the price. I’m going to go the smart shade route instead, either Ikea FYRTUR (budget option) or Lutron Serena (Cadillac option). Both have native HomeKit support now.

I mean call me a luddite and whatnot but it seems like it would be a lot easier to just get up and close the blinds.

8 Likes

Excuse me, sir, this is the First World Problems thread.

1 Like

Xfinity doesn’t let me.

As to retrofitting the blinds, it’s cheaper to do that than buy all new smart ones. I am looking at the Soma Tilt.

Looks like a creepy video.

2 Likes

It is. But if I’m not there, I don’t want it to be so obvious that I’m not there. And when I am there, why not have it done for you?

My lights go on and off whenever I want them to. I employ a sophisticated network of switches on the wall. I press it one way, boom, on, the other, off. Life is sweet around here, let me tell you.

5 Likes

See, here’s the deal. I have a kid. I tell him, Hey, kid, go close the blinds. After a bit of shouting and some threats and so on the blinds get closed. You have a cat. You say Hey, cat, the cat doesn’t even let you finish, he’s already out with Piss off, matey. Cats don’t take to instruction worth a damn, I know that from personal experience.

2 Likes

I looked at Soma and a couple others. I guess it really depends on whether you’re happy with the blinds you have and just want to smartify them, and if you’re willing to have the little motor on the wall next to every window. We have seven windows in the same space, so having seven visible motors was not to our liking.

Also, FYI, if you have fairly standard windows and are willing to switch from blinds to shades, the Ikea smart shades are about the same price as the Soma Tilt.

1 Like

I have plantation shutters in every window. I doubt you smart home techies could help me much with them. The only upgrade I think about is a camera at the front door. We have petty crime in Mueller from time to time. Anyone who gets into my garage with larceny on his/her mind will be sorely disappointed.

I’m not aware of anything that could automate plantation shutters. But a Ring doorbell or any of its competitors is a simple way to install a front door camera without having to run any new wires.

LEVOLOR Custom Motorized Shutters - YouTube

Motorized Shutters | Automated Plantation Shutters | Fashion Interiors

There are also after-market motors you can attach to pretty much any shutter.

1 Like

I do not want remote control shutters. I am in the Chuck camp on that. I know about Ring, of course, and I have a security system company.

In that case, the only way we can help you is to hire a butler to open/close them at your request.

My new place already has custom shutters, so I don’t want to spend the money have all new custom shuttering installed. I’m ok with having the little motor being visible; it’s probably less obvious than the hanging twist rod.

Capital idea! I have given up the fond but faint hope of getting married again. I bet on the wrong horse a few years ago, and here I am now alone with a dog.

PS The wrong horse story requires beer.

Most stories worth telling do.

It will be there for me to cry in if I feel the need.

2 Likes