Playoff Roster 2022

Storey says that Meyers never had a good arm.

The stats actually back that up.

The only thing I can figure is that the shoulder injury ( or the offseason research) gave teams reason to run more when he is the outfielder the ball is hit to.

When is the ALDS roster finalized?
Does a player have to at least be on the taxi squad to make it to the roster?

This is all the rules state:

A club’s Active List (26-man roster) must be submitted to the MLB Commissioner prior to the start of the first game of each post-season series (Wild Card game, LDS, LCS, and World Series).

I think typically the club will issue a press release in the morning on game day (start of series).

No

1 Like

Also mentions Meyers as vying for a possible spot on the postseason roster…

I agree. I can’t imagine they’ll go to the Postseason without a lefty in the pen.

With home field clinched, we can answer all the roster questions starting with Meyers, Brown’s, and Smith’s readiness for postseason. Valdez got us this far and there’s one more start to ascertain if there’s a trend or not. Given his performance all year we have an obligation to go with him at #2 in the rotation

Valdez at #2 is the easiest.

Agree with those that say Smith makes it.

I have no is about Jake other than if he makes the roster my hopes will be high but expectations low.

Meyers must play every day up to deadline and see if his bat at AAA persists at the mlb level, and potentially stronger arm give him a playing edge over Dubon, who is the cf utility platoon stopgap measure at best.

So Urquidy along with Garcia left off the ALDS roster? Not necessarily but read this and see what you think…

Hidden

Urquidy’s move to the bullpen signals that the Astros do not foresee him being part of their playoff rotation for the American League Division Series, though he is not out of consideration entirely to make the roster, according to manager Dusty Baker. “Try to get him some work there (in the bullpen) and then we’ll see how he performs, see how his arm is, see how everything is and try to make a determination on who we got to keep,” Baker said Saturday. “We got some major decisions.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-pitcher-Jose-Urquidy-moves-to-bullpen-17480577.php

Luis Garcia, 6-0 with a 2.77 ERA in his final 7 starts of the year. And may not even make the roster for the first round of the postseason. Heck, he might not even make it to any subsequent rounds that are 7-game series.

A move to the pen might be logical based on numbers but… while his sharpening slider plays well in the pen, his velocity does not. And, do you tinker with the best pen in baseball? Tough, tough choices.

The answer to your last question is a resounding NO.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty easy choice. You don’t mess with the pen.

2 Likes

Yep, not a tough choice at all.

Hensley over Dubon?

If the Astros decide to carry McCormick and Meyers – and not Dubón – rookie David Hensley could provide the same infield versatility that Dubón gives them, but with more offense. He can play all four infield spots and even left field. That would allow the Astros to have Meyers come off the bench as a late-game defensive replacement or pinch-runner. “He’s made a real good case,” Baker said of Hensley, who is hitting .321 (9-for-28) entering Wednesday. “He’s played well. At the plate, you wouldn’t know he’s a rookie because he’s very confident. Again, all this is going to boil down to how many position guys we take.”

There’s also a discussion in the article about Jake’s shoulder and basically the admission of an organizational failure in bringing him back too soon in June.

Is Hensley the Man of Autumn?

If Meyers is able to play CF, I’m perfectly fine with him and Hensley over Dubon. It’s no secret I’m not a fan of Dubon in CF, and hopefully he wouldn’t have a chance to play the infield in the Postseason, what with Diaz available. CF defense can be a weak spot with Dubon out there, and the Postseason is no place for that.

4 Likes

I sure have appreciated Dublin’s contributions this year but I’m 100% in agreement with what Meyers and Hensley offer in the Post Season covers a greater potential need.

1 Like