Music 2023

John Peel championed so many new musicians. Several bands have their own “Peel Sessions”, including, famously, Joy Division.

1 Like

“Peel Sessions” are a beautiful snapshot of a band.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the band but the singer sounds a lot like Robyn Hitchcock.

2 Likes

Sadly, Pete Perrett is a heroin addict (in case you missed the not-so-subtle metaphor of “The Beast”). His music career could’ve been stellar had his addiction not derailed it repeatedly.

Happily, the three living members of the band (of which Perrett is one) are still playing gigs and making new music, having reformed after “Another Girl, Another Planet” was used in a cell phone commercial in the UK (see also Warhols, Dandy).

FYI, this track isn’t about girls…or planets.

I caught a bit of their set in Blackpool last summer not really knowing who they were but it was a nice surprise.

1 Like

I got to work with John Perry a bit when he guested on a big Alejandro show a few years back. Nice bloke, very quiet, plays a nice guitar but he was somewhat overshadowed by Wayne Kramer and James Williamson for a want of flash. I had more communication with his wife, UK/Irish music mavenette Elvera Butler. /csb

2 Likes

I always flirt with death, I look ill but I don’t care about it.

Reminds me, Wayne Kramer passed a few weeks ago. Flash is indeed not something he lacked.

2 Likes

I remember that song. But wouldn’t have been able to say who it was.

1 Like

Worth the end of the world? Maybe…

Growing up in the 80s: a 9x7 bedroom, a bed, a desk, and this

4 Likes

Mine wasn’t quite that much, but it wasn’t far off. But I never had a desk, so I had room to play air guitar.

1 Like

This was my first stereo, Christmas 1970. Lasted me until I got separates in 1973 or 74. Didn’t have a Buck’s Stereo in my neck of the woods though.
panasonic_se-840

3 Likes

Well hello, Mssrs Fancypants:

That was my first record player. I got in trouble with the old lady babysitter (who later sold us World Book Encyclopedias) for listening to “Take This Job and Shove It” soundtrack…

She comes upstairs and says “I don’t think you kids are supposed to be listening to this kind of music?” "Talk to my dad, it’s his record, we think it’s hilarious. [more likely: sorry, we didn’t know]. I think we were 7 and 3 at the time.

Eta: Mom just confirmed (“oh I think we still have that”), sometime in 1981/2

4 Likes

Please provide more information. There are people on this board who’ll want to know what kind of cartridge it had, and whether it was belt or direct drive.

1 Like

It’s probably of higher quality than some of the junk out there today.

Records, dude. The 8-track player was in the living room and in dad’s buick

I’ll sell it to you for the cheap, cheap price of sentimental value.

There’s probably some hipster willing to pay four figures for it because it’s ironically retro.

2 Likes

Notwithstanding that excellent turntable, you clearly had no subscription to High Fidelity, nor even Stereo Review.

1 Like

Ours looked something like this. I was probably 6 or 7 before I realized that there were records that were not Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty or Loretta Lynn.

4 Likes