Music 2021

We fish the Guadalupe for trout some in the winter below the dam. I’ve fished the Llano once, for bass. It’s been a long time ago. In that area, I’ve fished the San Marcos a lot, and the Blanco. Brushy Creek in Round Rock is supposed to be great, and I keep wanting to explore the Colorado.

Sphinx seems to always be catching bass in the Guadalupe below New Braunfels.

Used to before last winter. I have caught only one bass this year. Seem like the damn carp and gar have taken over.

Carp are the kudzu of the fish world.

Because of global warming, there’s been a huge push to promote carp as a fly fishing target. They’re everywhere, they’re not affected by warm temperatures, and if you kill one nobody much cares. Plus they’re great fun to catch. The problem is that they’re really hard to catch.

Two words: dyna mite.

I’ve caught a couple of carp using vanilla extract soaked corn kernels. They are a popular eating fish in Poland. I threw one back and used one for cut bait to catch long nose gar which are easy to hook but real hard to land due to their hard bills and razor sharp teeth.

1 Like

Zebra mussels.

You can at least shoot carp with a .22

Not really.

Poles like fish on Christmas Eve. It’s a tradition. But it’s not carp.

1 Like

Smoked mackrel

Have you been, if it’s still there, to the Polish grocery store and restaurant?

eta: found it: http://polishfoodstorehouston.com/

Haven’t been there in 10 years. The restaurant is great but the food store/deli is better.

From Wikipedia:

• Common carp, breaded and fried, is part of traditional Christmas Eve dinner in Slovakia, Poland, eastern part of Croatia and in the Czech Republic. In pond based water agriculture it is treated as most prominent food fish.
  • Crucian carp is considered the best-tasting pan fish in Poland. It is known as karaś, and is served traditionally with sour cream (karasie w śmietanie).

I haven’t been in years. My dad and at least one aunt liked pickled herring. Yuck.

But here in the states (my family at least) it’sa local fish. And if you are ever lucky enough to have my mom’s fried fish, you will know what heaven is like.

1 Like

As discussed in the Sci-Fi TV thread, here’s some selections of anti-folk music to give you an idea of the breadth of this genre. In actually, it doesn’t really have any limits, it’s more about the type of artist than the music they play: from comedically irreverent to angry anti-establishment. Typically also with a look that isn’t going to get you on MTV.

Leading off: David Cronenberg’s Wife. The lead singer is missing the middle two fingers on one hand. I don’t know if this is relevant to the music overall, but it does explain why, in “My Date with Jenna Bush”, that he had “one-and-a-half hands on her breasts.”

Next up: Filthy Pedro and the Carthaginians.

This band is much more light-hearted than DCW (but then, so is a colonoscopy), as well as showily erudite.

Lucy’s Diary. Akin to hard-rocking Lily Allen, after a decade of a bottle of Jack and 2 packs a day.

Milk Kan had a moment of national exposure when “God with an iPod” was used as the backing music to a premier league highlights package. It’s probably the most commercial song I’ll post here. Otherwise, they probably better embody what you’d imagine when hearing just the term “anti- folk” than any of the other bands I’m posting.

They are also the band involved in the years long effort to get permission to use a Dolly Parton sample, which was achieved only when they offered to make it a duet. This lead finally to the release of the fantastic track, but also that amazing cover art.

Sergeant Buzzfuzz. If an observational comic was a band…with a problem with the Catholic Church.

Are we 100% sure it’s not the guitar player with the missing fingers?

Django?