Merry Christmas 2022

This is a real issue for international adoptees who were abandoned or trafficked.

There is a need to train medical professionals how to handled the unknowns in medical histories.

Or at least add an IDK option on the blasted history check lists they make everyone fill out.

Canā€™t think of a better place for birth stories than Christmas.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve told this story before, but the most unexpected, meaningful conversation of my life took place after we adopted our daughter. A younger woman in our group at work, whom I didnā€™t work with in any clients, asked if she could talk to me in private. She then told me that she had placed her baby for adoption while in high school, and that seeing our happiness over our adoption had brought her closure she didnā€™t have before.

11 Likes

Iā€™d always thought that adopting kids would be an amazing thing to do, and kudos to you, MM, an all others. It just never worked out for me and my relationships, especially now that Iā€™ve turned into a career country bachelor.

Back to the namings: I remember sitting around an outdoor fire as my mom (not a drinker) had her 2nd glass of wine and volunteered the info that my brother was named after a former boyfriend (ā€œbecause I liked the name!ā€). My dad was sitting there and had never heard that before, and the look on his face was priceless.

Mom was also at SWT at the same time as a well-known actor, and went to a few frat/sorority events as his date, so I still give both mom and bro shit to this day that he should have been named ā€œPowers [lastname]ā€

Adoption is not an easy process, and there are many more would-be parents than there are babies.

Iā€™ve thought about buying a rubber stamp for all those medical forms.

1 Like