Jeff Luhnow - Best GM of Modern Era?

Where for Beltran.

Luhnow’s suspension is up like Hinch’s. No one has hired him.

They thought Beltran would be hired somewhere in the next offseason.

I’m guessing Luhnow will be back in baseball as soon as he wants to be. People who are really good at sports (or sports management) tend to get more second chances than the rest of us.

I don’t think Luhnow will ever be a Major League executive again. They hated him when he was, and he’s burned pretty much every bridge he’s crossed. He may be back in baseball, but I don’t think he’ll be hired by a Major League organization.

2 Likes

If I was owner of say the Pirates or Rockies, I would hire him and damn the consequences. I do not own the Pirates or Rockies though

1 Like

The Astros cheating scheme used sound signals and could be easily decoded by watching… or listening to… game film. Crane, Luhnow and everyone else had no prayer once the news broke.

The Red Sox cheating scheme used visual signals that were not picked up by broadcast cameras or microphones. Even now we don’t know exactly how it worked. Everyone involved could just brazen it the fuck out. Even if Fiers had played for the Red Sox they could deny and minimize.

The Astros are now notorious not because they were especially extreme or evil cheaters but because they were so bad at cheating.

2 Likes

Luhnow will eventually get another job. Hinch, Cora and all of the former Astros players were instantly forgiven when they took off the uniform. In the end the only people who won’t be forgiven for this scandal will be Astros fans.

It was so obvious that nobody noticed for 2 full years. Until Fiers gave everyone the key to look for, nobody knew. It’d be the same thing with the Red Sox. Assuming it’s true that they only used it when a runner was on second which seems unlikely to me that Cora would use an all the time system and then downgrade to an only on second base system if he was gonna do a system at all

I think Lunhow will get another GM role someday if he wants it. Say what you will about his character but he built the best Astros team that we may ever see. He may not be very well liked but I’m not sure if that will matter to a team that has lost for years and wants to build a winner. I think it would be a team that is in a terrible situation. There will be another opportunity down the line where he will have the opportunity to build a team from the ground up like he did Houston if he wants to.

Lunhow has moved on from being a GM. The last two reports I have seen is being involved in ownership groups. Supposedly he was involved with a Mets groups with A Rod that was unsuccessful and in January, he was reportedly looking to buy a Liga MX team.

The gaze of the former baseball executive has been reportedly set on soccer since he was fired from his Astros job. Initially looking at MLS clubs, he switched over to Liga MX when he learned that the valuation of top flight clubs in the U.S. is usually 10 times that of its annual revenue, whereas Mexican clubs are valued around what they pull in with revenue. Luhnow was also born and raised in Mexico City.

I don’t think this is true. Other teams knew in varying degrees of detail. The difference with Fiers is he went around telling everyone, including the media, until the Athletic published their story and it couldn’t be ignored anymore.

1 Like

Exactly. Everyone knew what the Astros were doing and what the Yankees were doing and what the Red Sox were doing…hell, what every team was doing. No one cared until it pissed off a reporter. Everyone had to suddently manufacture outrage and direct it somewhere. And as is mentioned, the only people who really suffer are the Astros fans who let it bother them. I don’t.

5 Likes

And the Astros had pissed off reporters in 2019.

1 Like

That was the key.

They treated reporters badly in general. Then the you know who incident and the Nixonian attempt at a denial/coverup where they treated 2 reporters inexplicably horribly.

Idiotic.

Nice to see more players speaking the truth. Not that national media will follow up.

2 Likes

Here’s the full interview. Astros discussion starts at 46:00.

Schwab clipped the key parts but the full discussion is still interesting. Bassitt says it was an “arms race” across the league, everyone knew, nobody said anything, but the Astros were the ones who got caught once it got shoved into the public eye. Now that the league has finally stepped in, he says, anybody caught doing the same thing should get a lifetime suspension.

1 Like