In Praise of iMac

Very disappointing set of announcements this year, unless you’re Tom Cruise and you need the Watch Ultra.

I don’t think they have made the phones bigger. I think the talk of a “larger phone” was about there being a non-pro max. The standard and max models are the same sizes as the iPhone 13.

They are discontinuing the mini, though. But you can still get one for now at a discounted price.

The Minis must not have sold that well. I also remember reading that the smaller battery didn’t hold up so great.

I don’t see any reason to dump my 12 Pro or Series 5 watch anytime soon. I keep hoping they add a UV sensor to the watch since they got a patent for that a couple years ago, but nada.

I dropped my 11 Pro onto concrete a couple of months ago. I’ve been limping along with a stained glass screen ever since, so I am in the market for a new phone; I wouldn’t be upgrading otherwise. Also, because of the smashed screen, it has $0 trade-in value.

The 14 Pro is the first camera hardware update since the 11 Pro, so that is where I am leaning. Gravity willing, that should last me a good 5 years like my old 6S did.

My watch keeps telling me to get out of the chair, and now you want it telling me to go outside?

I want it to tell me to go inside before I die of melanoma.

It’s killed a lot more people than that Cable fella.

1 Like

Marques Brownlee gives the definitive verdict on the new iPhones. For HH, he confirms the standard size model is the same as last year.

Also, “Dynamic Island” sounds like a realty show involving a bunch of over-sexed Gen Zers.

How can one be over-sexed?

1 Like

This is a good summary/comparison of your buying options, including whether you should consider the 13 at the reduced price.

Where does one volunteer for the trials?

Tigerwoods@sexaddict.com

You ever see the end ot LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN?

1 Like

Turns out AT&T will give me $350 for my old phone. Nice!

3 Likes

You’d have gotten $375 if it had a headphone jack.

2 Likes

When I bought my 12 Pro AT&T gave me $800 for my 8 Plus. That was an insane deal.

2 Likes

That almost seems like they fucked up.

Not so fast. You know AT&T isn’t benevolent enough to lose money on the deal. The trade-in value was applied as a month-to-month bill credit on the 30-month installment plan (which was required for the trade-in). I could bail for another carrier anytime so it’s not technically a contract like from 10-20 years ago, but the bill credits stop and I would owe the remaining non-discounted balance on the phone. So if I leave, the device cost them nothing. If I stay, they get way more than $800 from me for 30 months’ worth of cell service.

Still a great deal for me, though - a $1000 phone for $6.67/month + tax up front. Not sure if they’re still offering those same sorts of deals.

1 Like

So I upgraded to iOS 16, and one of the main reasons was to get my battery percentage back. But alas, that feature is only available on iPhone 13 or 14, not anything older. But all the other features are. Why? Does Apple really hate me that much?

There are a couple of cool new features though, especially in the photos. But not having the battery percentage was always annoying as fuck, for literally no reason whatsoever.