George

Would Boston want a marquee replacement for Betts? Their pockets are deep; ask Cole

Ugh. Springer grew up in New England IIRC.

So did Baggy and he stuck around.

Brantley, Springer, Reddick all positioned to move on. I’m as hopeful about Tucker and Straw as the next guy, but seems to me that the team will have to overpay for George - unless they are going to play the lethal lottery and sign guys like Puig as replacements. From what I can tell by reading our prospect rankings, seems that not a lot of MLB ready bats are available in Round Rock or Corpus Christi. JD Davis would look good in a Houston uniform right about now.

Alvarez, Straw, Tucker left to right won’t cut it in the near timeframe

1 Like

If you think Tucker or Straw are replacements for Springer, you’re far more hopeful than I am.

I like Straw, and he’s a handy guy to have around, but I don’t see him as an everyday player. Tucker…yeah, I’m not sold on him. At all.

Springer is a leader. Some of the things he does for the team don’t show up in the stat sheet. No way we win in ‘17 without him. Pay the man if he will stay.

If I am the GM trying to balance a budget that is going to impacted by post COVID 2020 season revenues, I am passing on a Springer deal and going for a couple of guys to get me through the next two years. Probably for what Springer will cost for one. Grienke and Verlander both come off the books after 2021. That frees up $65 million dollars. Lots more payroll flexibility then to shoot for winning during the last three years of Altuve & Bregman’s deals.

Speaking of Bregman, looks like he’s now represented by Boras.

Nice knowing you, Alex.

He’s under contract to the Astros for five more seasons. This is not immediate impending doom.

1 Like