Full-Time RVing

I have an image of you looking at your cat and throwing your wristwatch in the dirt before setting off, like Peter Fonda. I guess in this scenario your cat is Dennis Hopper.

1 Like

My cat is way more ornery than Dennis Hopper.

Thereā€™s a ferry, from Washington up the coast.

ETA: plus British Columbia is a fishing destination.

Iā€™m just still marveling that Hudsonā€™s willing to admit, in public, that his favorite band is Kansas. Itā€™s like, Yeah, you know, I was gonna go with Styx but at the end of the day their songs are too short and not quite as annoying to peripheral listeners.

Kansas the state sucks so much that the best parts of the biggest city and the stateā€™s namesake are in a different state entirely. Now that I think about it, they should have put Oklahoma City over on the border with Kansas just to balance things out a bit.

Anyway, Limey, youā€™ve got all this to look forward to, amber waves of grain and so on.

1 Like

I would no more denounce the band because theyā€™re from the state anymore than I would sayā€¦Charlie Christian because he was from Oklahoma. I never said I wanted to live there. Eau de Slaughterhouse is not my fragrance.

There is some real merit to this, what with Dallas being in Oklahoma.

1 Like

Limey, you could be like a Foreigner and drive your REO Speedwagon on a Journey from Kansas to Boston, all you got to do is Head East. Thereā€™s never been any reason not to carry on my wayward son. Just remember when the lights go out in my city you will be getting more than a feeling in the golden country. It will feel like the first time!

4 Likes

Youā€™ve got too much time on your hands.

4 Likes

That is so true. I should be a renegade sailing down the River Styx with my Lady.

2 Likes

All those bands guided me as much as the Ramones, The Damned, and the Sex Pistols, guided me towards punk rock in the latter half of the 70s

1 Like

Im much more tolerant of that kind of pomposity now than I was then.

It all beats being down in the tube station at midnight. Iā€™ll just rock down to Electric Avenue because itā€™s opening time down on Fascination Street. All of which is better than being boiled in the Lebanon. Itā€™ll be a holiday in the sun, just donā€™t stand so close to me because Iā€™m having a personality crisis.

1 Like

I may skip South Dakota.

The Badlands is worth being in South Dakota. One of my best campouts ever was in The Badlands National Park. Unreal topography.

1 Like

Iā€™ll say some things in defense of Kansas, though not the rock band.

(1) Itā€™s got a surprising amount of history. Kansas was the pre-battleground for the Civil War, and Bloody Kansas is the war before the war. Itā€™s the crossroads for major American trails, the Oregon, the Californian, the Santa Fe, and then the cattle trails. The cattle trails give us our cowboy mythology. Charlie Parker and Joe Walsh are from Kansas. Texas shared the dust bowl and the Comanche with Kansas. Brown v. Board of Education was in Kansas.

(2) If you like birds, itā€™s a great birding crossroads.

(3) We went to see the Cimarron National Grassland in Southwest Kansas. Itā€™s flat, treeless, and sparsely inhabited, and weirdly beautiful. In my book thereā€™s a lot to say about sparsely inhabited, at least from time to time.

(4) Thereā€™s lots of Mexican food in Dodge City. Its population is now 40% Hispanic. Thereā€™s a good Peruvian restaurant in Wichita, though they donā€™t serve guinea pig. At least itā€™s not on the menu.

On the downside, the fishing is not so good.

That made me think of this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/6RdGuPKGXWfpTbiM8

I liked Kansas City while I was there visiting with friends. Was that Kansas or Missouri? I do not know.

I listened to Tom Green on Joe Rogan - heā€™s living out of a Boho van with a dog and made it seem pretty fun

Almost certainly Missouri. I liked it too.

1 Like

Great craft brewery/tap room in Lawrence too:

Free State Beer