Favorite in-person baseball experience

The best game I ever witnessed in person was game 5 of the 2004 NLCS. It featured a pitching duel between Brandon Backe and Woody Williams, and the walk off, three-run homer by Jeff Kent in the bottom of the ninth to break a scoreless tie.

1 Like

Yes! Mark and I were there too.

and on Earl Thomas for going for the ball instead of blasting Crabtree.

That was a bad play but Tech was still in position to kick the FG. Gideon’s play was the one that could have won the game.

Not if Thomas wraps him up or blasts the ball loose. There was one second left.

I completely agree Gideon’s was worse. That was the ballgame.

Even though the Astros last, Game 4 of the 2005 World Series is up there because it was a bucket list item to sit with my dad at the World Series. Every other WS game I’ve attended was a punch in the dick.

Game 7 of the 2017 ALCS was magnificent (courtesy of Jim and Gordon). I remember Jim and I watching the 9th and going “has McCullers thrown 37 (or whatever it was) straight curveballs?”

3 Likes

Game 6 1986

2 Likes

Aside from the first time ever getting to finally see the Astros in person at The Astrodome with my late father and unloved younger sibling in ‘93 (the good guys sadly lost to the Cinncinasty Commies that day), Astros vs. hated bravos at The Dome, May 16, 1998. Sat in the LF upper deck, may or may not have had a few Dome Foams/beers and Biggio/Pig-pen smoked a walk-off HR for the Astros to win it 3-2.

The Dome was rocking.

1 Like

Altuve’s 3-HR ALDS game against Boston.

As a close second, I went on a first date to Roy Oswalt’s first MLB start. Hardly the most consequential game ever, but it is a fond memory nonetheless.

2 Likes

They won, actually. Wonder whatever happened to that game program? Had a cool article on (University of Arizona Wildcat) Casey Candaele.

1 Like

Was I sniffing bath salts that day?
Could’ve sworn the Astros lost.

I have mentioned these here before but here goes.

I have been to hundredscof spring training games, but never a regular season or playoff game.

I have tickets to see the Astros and Mariners in Seattle Saturday 23rd.

Favorite moments:

1. meeting J.R.Richard as a 9 yr old. (1979) biggest man I had ever seen. My hand disappeared into his.

2. Julio Gonzalez giving me my first ever box of baseball cards ( also 1979 just before my 9th birthday) while sitting in the lobby of the Best Western Cocoa Inn waiting for my mom’s shift to end.

FYI I got Jose Cruz, Terry Puhl, Joe Sambito and several others I don’t remember.

I had all 3 of those autographed within an hour or so.

And I had to ask him what “DH” where position is on the card meant.

2 Likes

1 Like

Mine is a spring training game. My son and I went on a trip to Fl together when he was 13. We got to see several of the guys who we had gotten to know and several who had been over to the house for meals when they were in Gville. The highlight of the trip was a game between the Pirates & the O’s. Former Gville Astro Troy Patton had put us on the pass list that night and he closed out the win for the O’s. He took the ball from the catcher and after the handshake line started looking in the stands. He finds us and waves to us to meet him by the field. He hands my son the ball. As we talk, he tells us what our family had meant to him as a 18 year old kid away from home for the first time.
Several cool things happened on that trip (including my son getting to say ‘play ball’ at an Astros game v. the Braves and their 3rd base coach Terry Pendleton talking crap to him before the anthem “You sure you know your line kid? Don’t mess up. You sure you got it?”)

Other top candidates - my first MLB game was in 1974 in ATL. Saw Hank Aaron play and the give away was a poster of the 715 swing. Morgana the kissing bandit made an appearance during the game and kissed Aaron while he was warming up in the outfield.

On a family trip to NYC, we saw Mets & Reds in 1977 during Rose’s hitting streak. It was game #37. Where he tied for what was then 6th.

6 Likes