College Basketball 2023 - 2024

Wow, I didn’t realize that. Pretty impressive. Do you know if there is another team on a similar streak?

I’d guess UConn, maybe?

Gonzaga has made it 9 in a row

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yep, there is no such thing as an ugly win in the Tournament. Just win.

Interesting UH has never played Duke. I would not have guessed that.

3 Likes

I assume this was sarcasm, given how many times they mentioned it during Gonzaga-Kansas?

No, I didn’t see that game, but I get hammering that point as it’s quite a feat, as is 5. Lots of really good programs can’t pull that off.

Gotcha. I think this ties Duke at 9 and UNC is at 14 for longest all-time streaks.

The craziest part of Gonzaga making it to the Sweet 16 for the ninth consecutive season was midway through the year, they were firmly on the bubble to even make the tournament. Mark Few is a great coach.

1 Like

I can only imagine what you were screaming at the TV when Shead stupidly reached in and committed his fifth foul with about 20 seconds left in overtime and the Cougars up by five.

I told my wife that he just has to allow the layup there. He’s too important, especially with Roberts, Cryer and Sharp having already fouled out.

There have been plenty of games this tourney with significant foul discrepancy. I can’t help but think some of it is the refs who have worked with a small sample size of refs are mixed in with other refs for tourney play. So a ref who calls a tight game may be partnered with two who have a let them play phylosophy. The result is inconsistant calls that leave players guessing what is a foul.

Foul discrepancy isn’t always an indictment of officiating either. If one team is launching threes and the other is driving to the basket then the latter is going to end up shooting more FTs.

1 Like

That’s why only looking at a box score can be so misleading. I would say foul discrepancies can almost always be explained by watching the game and observing the flow both defensively and offensively. And on rare occasions the only explanation for a discrepancy is down to what refs choose to call and what they let go.

Also, when looking at the box score you’d see that UH was called for 28 fouls and A&M 24. But it doesn’t tell you that 7 or 8 of A&M’s were intentional fouls in the closing seconds of the 2H and OT.

Lost in Opening Day: it was a bad night for favorites

Every team I was rooting for lost last night, I’m hoping for the opposite today.

1 Like

I wasn’t rooting for North Carolina but I also didn’t want Alabama to win.

Illinois was a bad matchup for Iowa State but Iowa State had to deal with the same foul happy refs that tried to give the last Cougar game to A&M.

1 Like

The “it’s UConn’s tournament to lose” narrative today is more than a little disrespectful to UH

1 Like

As he has said before, Coach Sampson isn’t the least bit concerned about any narrative, he is preparing his team to face Dook and not looking past that.

1 Like