Astros @ Yankees, 8/6/2023

I believe the final count for Stros pitching is 12BB, 1 WP, 1HBP, 1 clock violation (on a 3 ball count), 215P, 98 strikes

Let us never speak of that shit again.

1 Like

12 BB with Angel HPU. Go figure.

Ok, I have cooled off and maybe can express myself better. I have met chuck more than once, and I like him immensely. I do not like his OWA persona all that much. Make no mistake about it, he plays a character here. He is hilarious at times and acts like he does not give a shit at other times.

I would never say I will be invested in the Astros only if they do what I want them to do or play the players I want them to play. I have been a fan since 1962 and have been through times much tougher than this. I am a fan, win or lose. I may be critical at times of individual players or of plays or of lineups, but I root for every one of these guys every game. Hell, I even liked Roger Clemens for three years.

So, chuck, I apologize for going off on you earlier. I like the hell out of you. I hope we are still friends despite my snit. You know how cranky us old people are.

8 Likes

The team is 2.5 games back from a division lead with nearly 2 months of baseball left. The owner just went out and got JV for the stretch run. He also went out and got a good reliever. Even though he hit a bump in his last inning, Urquidy looked decent today. Give the guy a break, it’s his first MLB start since late April. JV and Urquidy could help this team immensely. This is nearly the same team who won it all last year. This is a special group that should not be taken for granted and certainly not written off. I still think they’ll be the team raising the division championship flag for 2023. If they make the playoffs and if I were on the other side, I would hate to face Verlander, Valdez, Javier and Brown/France in a best of 7 series.

2 Likes

Hoping Graveman - and France - can give some relief for the other guys.

You’re not alone!
But we’re all hooked - look how many hours/days you have been an Astros fan!

This is what helps me:

1. Watch some kids at play. (Love this clip.) https://forums.orangewhoopass.com/t/fun-with-baseball/2229?u=snuffy
  2. Eat some frozen watermelon.
  3. Take today off.
  4. See ya Tuesday…

I’m high on France.

He’s exceeded expectations and seems to have it between the ears.

Frankly Urquidy was ok yesterday too. Hard to fault a guy who loses the zone in his last planned inning after missing so much time.

And whatever they can do to get Maton some rest should help.

2 Likes

I’m with you on France. I had no expectations of him, because frankly, I didn’t even know who he was until he was starting for the Astros. But he has pitched really well, and if the Astros somehow manage to hang on and make the Postseason, we may look back at him being the grease in the wheels to keep them from falling off.

1 Like

Seriously. Just totally unfazed by the show.

2 Likes

And on the lip.

3 Likes

Angel

That guy is a disaster.

Another site, Umpire Auditor, has him missing 23 calls.

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1688522123789340673?t=zNRVrhG6EmY3QCPqdNgBiw&s=19

Umpire Angel Hernandez missed 23 calls in the #Yankees #Astros game.

He now has the lowest correct call rate in the league.

1 Like

At 8-3 (95 IP), would it be an understatement to suggest possible Best Supporting Actor nomination, or even MVP this year?

Would being competitive, much less post-season play, have been a consideration w/o him, Bielak (5-6, 74 IP) & Blanco (2-1 ,50 IP)?

If you extrapolate out his year to a 12-4 record with a 2.8xERA, he’d easily be in the ROY conversation.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be something!
I either read an article or watched a post-game interview during which France marveled at how different it was to pitch in relief (not to mention coming in w/ the based LOADED). Can’t find it now.
It was great!

Clearly the Astros rookie starter we expected in that conversation

1 Like

The apology is as accepted as it is unnecessary. There’s no call for unanimous agreement around here, and I certainly don’t expect (or want, really) all of my thoughts to find universal accord. I don’t have any problem with honest confrontation. It may surprise people to learn that despite my abundant reservoirs of tact and effervescent charm I myself am capable of unvarnished commentary on certain occasion.

2 Likes

That shit still has the bark on it.

2 Likes