Astros @ Twin, July 5, 2024

There’s always something in any baseball game that happens that you’ve never seen before.

Loperfido makes leaping attempt at the wall. Ball goes in glove, comes out when he hits wall, he catches it barehand before hitting ground. Umpire rules no catch, but the batter passes the runner on first, so one out anyway. Overturned on review, catch is the out, runner stays at 1b.

1 Like

You see, what happened is, yeah and then they, well, yeah. And then he was like, ok. And then they said no, but then yes. And now it’s one out runner on 1st.

Does that clear it up?

1 Like

That just, like, your opinion, man.

1 Like

Whose turn to pitch in the 9th with a 5 run lead?

Thank you MusicMan!

It’s like I had a front row seat for it. :joy:

I would only add that after the batter passes the runner on first, the runner on first would have been out at second on the force (which might not still be in existence after the first call?). The umpires took the easy way out.

I really thought the ball kissed the padding on the way back down. The Astros were going to get an out either way, but it was pretty nuts.

Runner in 1B. High fly ball to RF. Loperfido leaps and globes it, but it pops out as he crashes into the wall. While falling, he reaches out and catches it with his bare hand. Ruled no catch. But overturned.

1 Like

Let me take this moment to say I hate the current MLB TV deals. Sigh

Salazar drilled on the hand on the first pitch.

No - doubly so: the batter passing him removes the force play, and even without that, the throw went to first, which would have removed the force play.

And he’s PISSED.

STOP THROWING INSIDE IF YOU CAN’T FUCKING CONTROL IT

1 Like

5 HBP in 30 IP? Probably shouldn’t be in the majors.

1 Like

The throw to 1B would not remove the force because the batter reached it. A force only exists until the batter reaches 1B safely.

If it did, it would have altered the trajectory, which didn’t appear to be the case. I think it was very close, like an inch or two.

Singleton also tagged him while he was standing on first, which would have been an out if the force were in effect.

Breggy Bomb!