Astros @ Mariners, April 18, 2021

Good first pitch in the majors by Solomon

I don’t know but when guys get healthy his seat will get hot quickly

One fucking hit today, and that was the fly ball the left fielder lost in the sun.

What a pathetic series offensively.

1 Like

Man, this team is a dumpster fire right now.

1 Like

No, this team is a AAA team right now.

3 Likes

Check out Joe Smith’s analytics at Baseball Savant. Not one stat/number so far gives you hope. They need to release him or IL him. He’s either hurt or his career is over. Every pitch is 3+ mph slower with less movement and he is fooling no one. His expected numbers are some of the worst in baseball.

Smith has been effective with movement his entire career. If he has lost that, he may be done.

1 Like

10 hits, 1 run Saturday.

1 ‘hit’, 2 runs today.

Running the Gambit of offensive ineptitude.

I’m not gonna say you’re wrong, he could be done, he could be hurt. But be careful trusting 21 numbers on baseball savant just because of how small the sample is. His spin rate on his 4seam is down by almost 200, that’s bad but his slider and sinker are right where they have been. The movement is about the same as before as well. It’s his location that seems to be the problem and you have to remember, he didn’t pitch at all last season, location could definitely be a result of rust, or he could be done. It’s still a little early to make that call. He’s definitely been bad though.

1 Like

So if the LFer had not lost the ball in the sun, that was a no-hitter?

Good grief.

1 Like

I haven’t counted his spin rate, but with my fairly keen eye, at least in my ever humble opinion, every pitch he’s throwing is finding the middle of the plate. Perhaps he’s just rusty, but he’s gotta fix that shit, pronto, or he’s toast. He can’t live where he’s living now, he doesn’t throw 100 mph.

1 Like

Oh 100%, and he may very well be done or hurt. Just saying that by looking at the numbers his “stuff” isn’t much different that 2019. If his slider wasn’t breaking like normal AND he was finding the middle of the plate, I’d say stick a fork in him. I think it may be something mechanical and if it is I’m sure Strom will find it and fix it. One way or another I suspect we’ll find out real soon if it’s fixable.

1 Like

A sidearm pitcher like he is has to manufacture SOME downward movement because without it, everything will be flat.

2 Likes