Astros Front Office Changes

I find this odd… people within an organization typically get to know each other. They then sometimes get along really well. End of story….?

He has mentioned their working relationship many times.

I would need to look back over pages and pages of posts to get specifics or quotes, but from what I remember, Maldy and Gelles worked together on breaking down videos, mostly of young catchers in the organization, and collaborated on the development of those catchers.

Apparently they had significant common ground in the way they approach their various tasks and much philosophical agreement.

Maldy loved working with young catchers and breaking down video of their work behind the plate as well as tutoring them in game planning and pitch calling.

There was talk of him specifically wanting to work with her when he retired.

3 Likes

Thank you Jim,

I really appreciate this background.

I have felt that Maldy will be a good coach someday. It seems he spent a lot of time on scouting that maybe in 2022 and 2023 he should have spent in a batting cage.

I have hoped he could be hired as a minor league manager for a while now.

Absolutely not.

You don’t know how much time he spent in the cage, nor do you know whether spending more time in the cage would have staved off his obvious decline. But even if we assume your assertion is correct, it would mean that he was putting emphasis on the strongest part of his game, and I’d be fine with that.

4 Likes

Yeah, more time in the cage doesn’t reverse aging.

4 Likes

Depends on the cage, I suppose. But yeah, Father Time has just caught up with him.

1 Like

Well, lots of people think that plastic surgery does the trick. Used to be that was all very hush hush. Now everyone gets Botox and no one raises an eyebrow.

2 Likes

Mrs Hawk has been socking money away in her health spending account for years . She’s said it was for her future plastic surgery. Now she’s decided to use it for cataract surgery. Aging also rearranges priorities.

7 Likes

Good call.

Cosmetic surgery is also not an eligible expense and could cost you a pretty penny in tax penalties.

Now you guys are talking MY expertise after absorbing all the legal and pilot information from so many since I got here.

2 Likes

You get enough botox and it’s hard to raise any eyebrow

3 Likes

/thatsthejoke.gif

simp

It’s taxed as ordinary income, same as the dollars would have been had they not gone into the HSA, likely at a much lower rate. It’s basically like a 401(k) at that point (after age 65). But yeah, the cataract surgery is both more pressing and a better bargain.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone ever thought Maldonado was on this team for his bat. His defense and relationship with the pitching staff is why he has stuck around this team for so long.

2 Likes

Yes, after age 65 is the key.

Prior to that there would be a tax penalty of up to 20%.

I failed to consider that you and your wife are elders.

My mistake

Elders? Well, she’s no longer the young co-ed filling out the old college sweater I first met back in the day, but “elders”? Good grief. She wasn’t planning on the cosmetic surgery just yet. Of course, she’s really young for needing cataract surgery too, so there’s that.

Seriously…elders? Way to ruin my day.

2 Likes

You’ll forget about it by the time Matlock comes on.

20 Likes

To be followed by Murder She Wrote and The Golden Girls.

3 Likes

I’m already older than a couple of the Golden Girls were (who were actually quite young for the premise of the show).

2 Likes