Astros at Suddenly Unbeatable A's, 7/24/24

Angels win 2-1

2 Likes

The Astros really owe the Angels a beer. The Angels have gone like 5-1 vs the Mariners over the last two weeks.

4 Likes

Losing 2 of 3 to this poverty franchise sucks but not as much as getting swept by the Angels sucks.

4 Likes

It’s actually 6-1. They took 3/4 headed into the all star break and then swept them Mon-today. Make it two beers

1 Like

With todays win, the Astros finish their time in Oakland as the only AL franchise with a winning record there (55-54)

2 Likes

His bathroom I believe

2 Likes

Didn’t get to see the game because of work. But, if I’m understanding this correctly, the Astros won because of good pitching and hitting? Why didn’t someone tell them this for the first two games of the series?

Oh, Elvis’ last concert was June 26, 1977 in Indianapolis. Good call, HH.

Arrighetti and Bloss against a hot-hitting A’s club was always a looming disaster, and that’s the way it turned out, although the accompanying no-show for the Astros’ offense was disappointing.

Like Jim said earlier, if we keep trotting those two guys out in two out of every five starts (and don’t get me wrong, I think both of them will be useful pitchers in the future, but they’re not ready yet), we’re not going to win the division. And nobody from this division will get a wildcard spot.

Dana Brown has work to do between now and Tuesday. Hopefully, someone like Jack Flaherty, Erick Fedde, Chris Bassitt/Yusei Kikuchi, Tyler Anderson, Zach Eflin or even a Zack Littell type arm are Astros come Tuesday. They need more starting pitching above all else.

My pipe dream would be the Blue Jays take lesser prospects for the Astros to take on Bassitt or Kikuchi salary

Edit: I guess that would really just be Bassitt since Kikuchi is only owed 10M next year while Bassitt is 22M

1 Like

Somehow completely failed to mention Vlad Jr here. My pipe dream would be getting Vlad Jr but lowering the prospect cost by taking on Bassitt salary next year

1 Like

What’s with James Paxton?

Released by the Dodgers. Mid 4 ERA that is much better than the underlying numbers - walking too many guys, not striking out anyone.

Innings eater

While true, Paxton is still better than using Jake Bloss every five days and doesn’t cost prospects. He’s worth kicking the tires on in the Astros’ situation.

4 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong, but the Dodgers aren’t exactly rolling in starting pitching.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. Only thing I can figure is he had some sort of IP’d bonus clause in the contract that was close to kicking in and therefore they didn’t deem him worth it.

When is the last time the Dodgers were worried about money?

Why do you think they left Brooklyn?

Kershaw returned yesterday, I’m sure that had something to do with it

1 Like