2024 Roster

Realmuto led mlb last year playing 130 games at catcher. That means 32 games he was not a catcher.

Are you saying Diaz should catch more than 130 games or that he should be on the bench when not catching?

Rutschman only caught 108 games but played 154.

I would like him to catch about 75% (120-125 games) play 1B or DH about 15% so he is playing 145-150 or so games.

He is young and strong, but catching over 162 game season is a grind.

No one ever suggested he catch 162 games.

Nobodyā€™s been able to do that since PENCE!!!

Thats not what I meant. I know you are a knowledgeable fan and know he needs some days off.

The question is how many days off and should they be full days off or just a break from catching.

1 Like

They need to be full days off. He shouldnā€™t catch 120 games and play 35 games at 1B. You can DH him some, but this idea that he be the primary catcher and see significant time at 1B is just wrong, IMO. Heā€™s your catcher. Find someone else to fill in at 1B.

1 Like

I agree that this is a reasonable ask.

I want Diazā€™s bat in the lineup more than 120 games but donā€™t want him worn out in October.

Quite the balancing act.

Adley Rutschman played 154 games and had over 300 more PA than Yainer last year, but he was 1 for 12 with no runs or rbi in the postseason.

All I know is that Yainer has one of the best 9 bats on the team and I want to see that bat in the lineup as much as possible. The HOW is for people more knowledgeable than me.

Iā€™m not sure you can just attribute that to him being worn out from all those plate appearances.

Diaz needs to appear in 135-140 games, mostly at catcher and some as the DH. If thereā€™s a handful at 1B, fine, but there should not be a significant number.

Agreed that such a small sample size is hard to judge.

And also agree that Diaz must get days off since heā€™s a catcher.

What worries me is that JV decides Caratini is his personal catcher over 25 starts then Espada and the organization decide that Victor needs to catch each starter 2-3 times in case Diaz gets hurt.

Before you know it Caratini has started 1/4 of the games.

If Diaz doesnā€™t DH or play 1B some then its a wasted bat 25% of the time instead of 10-15%.

It is also possible that Caratini in the lineup is better than Singleton, Kessinger, or whoever else may be playing 1B so put Diaz there.

But I acknowledge you are in favor of him playing some at those 2 spots.

How about letting Espada make these decisions?

3 Likes

Donā€™t be ridiculous. It makes way more sense to come up with absolutely over the top scenarios than to think that the new coach might have a grasp on how to use his players best.

3 Likes

This is just not something to worry about. Espada is going to make the right lineup decisions. He isnā€™t going to pull ideas out of his ass like Dusty.

Weā€™re going modern Bill Veeck. Everyone texts in their lineup, pitch selection, you name it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand why everyone just glossed over the catcher/1B combo position.

They run down the line on ground balls anyway.

7 Likes

Too many inside the box thinkers here

2 Likes

ā€œHello? Mr. Bolt? I have a proposition for youā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Paging Sparky Anderson

Gene Mauch has a couple of ideasā€¦

I would believe Bo Jackson could have done that if heā€™d stuck to baseball.

3 Likes

What about SIngleton at first base? Wouldnā€™t it be a good idea to get him some at bats?

I think the plan is to teach him to throw left-handed and then move him to third so that we can shop Bregman for a RF to take over after Tucker leaves.

3 Likes