2024 Roster

I realize that money is currently a big issue.

There are reports that Crane is willing to cross the CBT “for the right player” but the team doesn’t look to have the young/prospect talent to compete with other teams for tradeable stars, and aten’t linked to any of the big FA currently on the market.

Therefore, to improve this team, I think Brown will need to get creative and I’ve been thinking about how that could go.

My idea (totally outside of the box and exceptionally unlikely, I know)

Step 1) sign Altuve to a 6 yr/ $105M extension that replaces his 2023 deal. He is likely to do it because of $80M in additional guaranteed money and keeps him in Houston through age 39. It may be a bad contract the last few years but thats the price for keeping him an Astro his entire career and payyoll flexibility this year.

It also frees up nearly $6M in CBT space for 2023.

Step 2) bring Neris back on a 3 yr/$18M deal. The projections I have are that he should get 2 yrs in the $15M range. As an older reliever the 3yr offer is likely very attractive to him. Its a gamble at his age, but he has been very durable and with Abreu the only established RP who is under contract beyond 2025 it adds some continuity at a reasonable price.

Step 3) trade 2 prospects in the 15-30 range to the Yankees for Kyle Higashioka. I think Dirden is perfect for them since he is a LH power hitting corner OF. The other guy would likely be a pitcher like Tamarez or Melendez.

Higashioka fills the need for a defense first veteran backup. He is currently on the trade block as 4th on their catching depth chart and a FA after 2024. His estimated arbitration salary is a very reasonable amount below $3M.

Strp 4) Trade Urquidy to the Orioles for Ryan O’Hearn.

Trading Urquidy hurts the rotation depth and means a gamble that the 5 other starters stay healthy and effective, or relying on Bielak, Blanco, Dubin, Arrighetti, and/or Whitley and possibly others as a #5/6 starter until Garcia and/or McCullers is healthy.

As for the Orioles, they are loaded with position players with more top prospects needing an opportunity. O’Hearn very well could be the odd man out but at very least is expendable as they need starting pitching very badly.

Neither guy is a star, and will get $3-$4M in arbitration with Urquidy’s estimate about $300K higher. O’Hearn is a FA after 24 and Urquudy has an additional year. Because of that, the Astros could potentially also get a prospect like their #21- catcher Creed Williams.

This deal is about both filling needs at the lower half of the roster and match up extremely well.

So this plan:
1)Extends Altuve
2)Fills b/u catcher
3) Adds Neris back to bullpen
4)Adds a corner OF/1B who hits RHP well.
5)Leaves about $5M in CBT space for trade deadline or a value pitcher they find.

At the cost of reducing the SP depth and risk of extending a couple of older players beyond their productive years.

1 Like

I think Neris will do much better than $6M per. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Agreed. I also assume he mistyped on Altuve’s extension. 6 years, $105 million is only $17.5 million per season. There’s no chance Altuve agrees to that low of an annual salary.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to connect “For the right player” and “big FA on the market” in any Astros position player acquisition talk. In their current run, there’s been what, two such FA acquisitions? Brantley and Abreau? If ever there was a year for the Astros to be their most Astros selves, this is it. I’d focus all my “internet GM” time looking at edge players that could fill the small gaps turning a good current Astros low K lineup and up-the-middle defense into even better for this year and finding that unheralded, toolsey player or two down in the mid-minors in other orgs that can step up when/if Tucker and Bregman leave.

1 Like

The most important off season acquisition is our new manager. Each game last year was a window into Dusty’s cerebral funhouse. Much bp meds, alcohol, and long walks questioning the bb gods ensued.

Dusty’s Cerebral Funhouse

…also the name of @Chuck’s 60’s-folk-rock punk cover band

1 Like

The Altuve extension to lower his CBT number is a really good thought.

1 Like

My “friend” just posted that several people are actively pushing for Maldy to be resigned.

He says Verlander is the most outspoken of these but Tommy Kawamura, and “the bullpen coach” were also mentioned.

He said there are others but those were the only ones specified

Maldonado would make a fine backup catcher.

1 Like

Props to Verlander for sticking up for Maldy, but we do not have the luxury of a personal catcher given the state of the team and Diaz’s continued necessary professional development. Three teams are interested in Maldy, and that option is worth pursuing

2 Likes

Didn’t Emilio Pagan get $8M? Neris is getting more than that.

Mlb traderumors projected Neris to get 2 yrs $15M

I thought for an extra $3M guarantee he would go the extra year which drops the AAV from $7.5M to $6M.

If he ends up getting higher offers they can go 2 or 3 yrs at $7-9M AAV as my plan leaves about $5.2M under the CBT. It would just drop it to $2.3M-4.3M.

As for Altuve, I think that he would be willing to give a bit of a hometown discount to keep him in an Astros uniform the rest of his career ( through age 39 in hhis case). Sure he could rather just keep his current deal then sign 3 yrs $60-75M through age 37 but I think he would be willing to sign a below market deal to guarantee its his last contract. Hecwon’t get $20M per year

Maybe they add a year through 40 to get him to accept the lower AAV. The 6 yr is more than $80M in guaranteed money. If they add another yr at $17.5 or even keep it at 5-6 yrs up to $20M AAV the team will still be under the CBT but not have aa much wiggle room.

I see him either getting a 3-4, maybe as long as 5 yrs at $20-25M, but he will need to be under $20M AAV if he wants 6yrs+ and to guarantee this is his last contract.

Bottom line they can give Nerris up to $8.6M and Altuve $20.1M AAV and still be under the CBT.

Astros are signing Victor Caratini as the backup catcher according to Rome and Rosenthal. He’s coming off one of his best years where he hit .259 with 7 homers. He a switch hitter which I like and his career K rate is an acceptable 24%. Deal is pending a physical and terms not disclosed at the moment.

EDIT: Reportedly a 2 year deal. Still now word on the dollars.

McTaggart and Mark Feinsand report it’s a 2 year, $12 million deal.

Savant says Caratini is an excellent framer. He was apparently Darvish’s personal catcher and was traded from Chicago to San Diego with him to keep them together. Doesn’t look like his arm is anything to write home about. Bat sounds more than playable for a backup catcher. Hard not to like the signing.

If nothing else, the Caratini signing is the pillow that finally and mercifully smothers all of the Maldonado talk.

9 Likes

Was Nurse Ratched about to give him a prefrontal lobotomy?

I thought hat was a prenatal lobotomy.

The Houston Astros have acquired RHP Dylan Coleman from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for RHP Carlos Mateo.

https://x.com/astros/status/1732464230215933995?s=46&t=gVPkSV8d_UqF-EiWeEFo_w

mlb trade rumors has more info…

Coleman, 27, has been on the Royals’ roster since September of 2021, serving as an optionable depth arm in that time. He has 92 2/3 innings of major league experience to this point with an earned run average of 3.88. His 24.1% strikeout rate in that time is above average but he has also walked 13.9% of batters faced. Control was a particular problem in 2023, as he gave free passes to 19.8% of hitters in the majors and 21.8% in Triple-A.

Despite the command issues, there are reasons for the Astros to be intrigued. For one thing, Coleman still has a couple of options, meaning he won’t require an active roster spot in the short term if the control remains an issue. He also has just over a year of service time, meaning he can be a long-term piece for the club if he gets things on track. His fastball averages in the upper 90s and he has always racked up plenty of strikeouts in the minors.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a couple people compare him to Stanek—at least the same kind of gamble with a strong fastball coming off a terrible season.